Tuesday, December 14, 2010

An Interview with Leah Humberston of Leah's Art Magic



Leah Humberston is the imaginative artist behind the
Oregon based
Leah’s Art Magic



Her unique work can be found on eBay under the
eBay ID : leahsartmagic



How would you describe your work?
My paper mache pieces have a vintage style to them. Most of my paintings have a texture to them, be it paper or polymer clay or paperclay or texture with a gel medium. I like to use antiquing gels and crackle’s to make my pieces look old. I guess I try to make my work look like it was found it in grandma’s attic.





How long have you been creating Halloween themed art?
About six years I guess. But,… I do remember at the age of 9 years. I was drawing graveyards and ghost and witches on chalk boards quite a bit. I think my mother was seriously worried about me. J



What do you consider your greatest creative challenge?
This is a hard question, I would have to say, time. Being able to manage my time for creating is a challenge for me.




What do you like most about being a member of EHAG?
Being in EHAG is a great honor. Everyone is very helpful and caring. The artists in this group are of the highest standard, so I’m very proud to be a member. There are so many talented people in this group and I am always in awe of their work.




What is your favorite childhood costume, and why?
A witch, because as child I liked the idea of being able to fly on a broom! :) I also remember designing my sisters witch costume and doing her make-up for a contest when we were young. I put a big hook nose on her and warts and she won first place! Great memories.




Do you have any favorite Halloween Traditions?
We carve pumpkins and hand out candy to the goblins. I decorate the front of my house. Sometimes we have parties.




Where do you find inspiration?
Old postcards and graphics, antiques, books, magazines, movies, my dreams. Music can be inspiring as well.




What are your artistic plans for the future?
I hope to get published this year. I always try to strive to improve on my sculpting and painting skills.




“Open the Vault” tell us a secret not many people know about you.
Hmmmm….. When I was in my twenties used to paint cartoons for Mill Valley Animation, they did work for Hanna Barbera. So I painted Space Ghost, Scooby- Doo and Jonny Quest cartoons. It was a fun job.




How do you balance your personal / professional life?
That’s a very good question. It’s defiantly a balancing act. Having a studio in your home is difficult to say the least. I just try to do my best.




What shows will you be participating in this year or next?
The “Downtown Art Walk” in my home town , Cottage Grove, OR next year. I participated in it this last year and I enjoyed it.


Mostly I sell from my blog -http://leahsartmagic.blogspot.com/, my Etsy store- leahsartmagic, and the EHAG Emporium.




Follow Leah on her blog - http://leahsartmagic.blogspot.com/


Her Halloween themed work can also be found on eBay by using the acronym "EHAG" in your eBay searches.

3 comments:

Designs By CK said...

FUN read and great EHAG artist! I'm lucky enough to own quite a few of Leah's pieces and cherish each and every one!

Chris :-)

Carolee said...

Great interview! And I loved seeing more of your work! :)

~ Carolee

Flora said...

Leah is such a sweetie!!! The vintage feel of her art is wonderful,especially on the owl and REALLY loving her tri-framed ghost art too!!!
blessings,Flora