Friday, November 19, 2010

An Interview with Nancy Malay



Nancy Malay is the imaginative artist behind the
Minnesota based

Nancy's work can be found on eBay under the
eBay ID: Victorian*Whimsies


How would you describe your work?
That’s always a tough one, because I create a variety of items in different styles – including Primitive, Victorian and Folkart.  But, I guess you could say my work is vintage looking, with a touch of whimsy and a little sparkle.


How long have you been creating Halloween themed art?
I was originally known as “The Christmas Lady”, creating mostly Santas and snowmen. But, I added Halloween themed art about 5 years ago, and enjoy making it all year long.


What do you consider your greatest creative challenge?
In a word……TIME! There are never enough hours in a day to get done what I’d like to get done.
I love getting up really early – usually about 4:30-5:00 am. (For some reason I’m most creative that time of the day.)  But, I’m also a “night owl”, so I have to fit in sleeping somewhere, too!


What do you like most about being a member of EHAG?
This talented group of artists all have such a passion for Halloween, and I think this shows in their work.  And, I like that everyone’s art is so diverse, with creations ranging from primitive to whimsical.


What was your favorite childhood costume, and why?
I was an Indian Maiden one year.  It was the only time my Mom would let me wear make-up at that age, so I made the most of it!


Do you have any favorite Halloween Traditions?
When our boys were younger, I loved making their costumes, going to their parties, and taking them out to Trick-or-Treat.  I still enjoy hearing that doorbell ring on Halloween and seeing the kids in their various costumes.


Where do you find your inspiration? 
It can come from anywhere….buttons, old postcards, or an unusual found item that I think will make a great accessory for something.  I definitely have more ideas than time.


What are your artistic plans for the future?
I love to try different techniques and mediums. I’ve wanting to take a class on woodcarving for a long time, but haven’t been able to fit it in, so maybe this will be the year.


"Open the Vault" - tell us a secret that not many people know about you.
I’ve had a hole-in-one in golf and my husband has had two (he’s a great golfer—I’m terrible!)


How do you balance your personal/professional life?
This is a challenge at times. But, no matter what is going on, my family always comes first.  I’ve been known take multi-tasking to a new level and go with very little sleep!  And, I love the quote:  “Behind every successful woman is an enormous amount of coffee”! (I do love my coffee!)


What shows if any will you be participating in this year?
I won’t be doing any shows this year.

Follow Nancy on her blog

Nancy Malay's Etsy store ID is NancyLee

Her Halloween themed work can also be found on eBay by using the acronym "EHAG" in your eBay searches.

5 comments:

Tristan Robin Blakeman said...

I've long been a fan of Ms. Malay's - and it's nice to know a bit more about her.

... nice interview!

Sheryl Parsons said...

Nancy is not only super talented, she is gracious and sweet. Her work is magical.

Sheryl

Carolee said...

LOVED reading more about Nancy and her amazing work!! :)

~ Carolee

Designs By CK said...

GREAT read about Nancy and her art!

Chris >:-)

Flora said...

Always good to read about our talented group members, love Nancy's inspiring art!!!
Blessings,Flora