Saturday, November 6, 2010

An Interview with Jorge de Rojas of Hohohalloween


Jorge de Rojas is the imaginative artist behind the
Florida based

Jorge's work can be found on eBay under the
eBay ID: hohohalloween


How would you describe your work?
I think the best way to describe my work would have to be “retro vintage” if that makes any sense. I strive for a look that is grounded in classic Halloween images, yet relates to our modern sense of humor.

How long have you been creating Halloween themed art?
I’m relatively new to this Genre, It will be 6 years now since I started creating Halloween art. I started it as part of therapy after an automobile accident that left me home bound for period of time. Once I reconnected with the creative process, there was no going back.


What do you consider your greatest creative challenge?
I think the greatest challenge for any artist is how do you stay true to your original ideas while growing and developing your style and technique. I’m actually in transition right now. I recently started clothed figures and I’m trying to retain that “cartoonish” humorous touch withoug getting to serious or fussy about the final image.

What do you like most about being a member of EHAG?
 To be in such wonderful company, when I first started listing on Ebay I would often look at the EHAG listing in admiration. the acronym immediately stands for a high standard of creativity, and technique.


What was your favorite childhood costume, and why?
It was a Vampire. I remember my Grandmother making a red satin lined black cape as I watched. She was an accomplished seamstress, which is where I picked up my sewing skills that are coming in very handy today. I also remember that I wore that cape out even after Halloween was long gone.

Do you have any favorite Halloween Traditions?
My Halloween Traditions include an annual Open House Party for friends and family and putting up a Halloween tree. I try to add at least one new ornament each year, keeping to that limit has proved to be hard as there are so many wonderful artist in EHAG and in general that it is hard to stick to just one.


Where do you find your inspiration?
It can come from the most unexpected places or objects, a visit to the thrift shop, an oddly shaped branch even an occasional beguiling pose from my cat Talula. Including the vast resource of vintage imagery that is out there.

What are your artistic plans for the future?
I hope in the future to be a little more proactive in getting into publications and become more familiar to new collectors.


"Open the Vault" - tell us a secret that not many people know about you.
My next door neighbor is a witch, no really!

How do you balance your personal/professional life?
That is a hard one. Since my studio is home based you can’t really close up. It’s finding the time to  get out of the house!


What shows if any will you be participating in this year?
I might have bitten more than I can chew but I’m happy to say that I’ll be joining other EHAG Artist in returning to Halloween & Vine this year as well as Spirits in Sanford and of course the first annual STJ Soiree. I’ll also be sending some pieces to the Madman’s Masquerade event Gallery in New York.


Follow Jorge on his blog

Jorge also posts items for sale on SpookyTimeJingles on the 13th every month.

His Halloween themed work can also be found on eBay by using the acronym "EHAG" in your eBay searches.

6 comments:

Carolee said...

Wonderful interview! So much fun to read more about Jorge, and I love the pics too!! :)

~ Carolee

*retro-rudolphs* said...

Great read, great artist!! ~ Lori

Designs By CK said...

GREAT read and artist! Jorge I'm so glad to have gotten to know you this year and consider you a friend!

Jorge's art is lovely and I treasure my new piece I got from him at this years Spirits in Sanford art show!

Chris >:-)

Johanna Parker said...

LOVE the whimsy and vibrant colors of your work Jorge!

~ Johanna :)

hohohalloween said...

Thank You all for your kind comments! I had no Idea that I was being featured. Have had lots on plate but still very grateful.
Jorge

Flora said...

I'm a big fan of Jorge's creations!!!
Blessings,Flora