Tuesday, October 26, 2010

An Interview with Susan Brack




Susan Brack is the imaginative artist behind the Indiana based

Susan's work can be found on eBay under the
eBay ID: inkpenart



How would you describe your work?
I think fantasy mixed with a little whimsy and folk art best describes my work, but my styles and themes often vary.  I'm best recognized for my Holiday and folk art illustrations.

How long have you been creating Halloween themed art?
I've been creating art and Halloween themes as long as I can remember.

What do you consider your greatest creative challenge?
I never run out of ideas.  I'm lucky to have lots of images come to me in dreams.  I'm constantly jotting down ideas and doodling images that pop into my head, but life has a way of pulling me from the studio.  Mow the grass, cook the meals, clean house, the list goes on.  I would much rather spend that time in the studio.


What do you like most about being a member of EHAG?
It is a real honor to be accepted into such a talented group.  I take great pleasure in networking and getting to know some of my fellow artists.  All the artists are so welcoming and quick to give words of encouragement.  Ehag is a great place to be.

What was your favorite childhood costume, and why?
I confess, as a child I was not a fan of Halloween.  I was a bit of a scaredy cat, always looking under my bed and in closets for bed time monsters.  My imagination worked against me back in those days.  My true love was horses.  I wanted to be a horse.  Still love them and often portray them in my Halloween illustrations today.


Do you have any favorite Halloween Traditions?
I've been blessed to be able to live in the country most of my life.  My favorite memories are of all the Halloween parties most often held in big old barns along with bonfires and  haunted hay rides.  Those are some of the best traditions ever!

Where do you find your inspiration?
I have always had an over active imagination. I find inspiration in just about anything I see or do.  I live in my own spooky kingdom.  Country living brings flying bats, big full moons, rustling corn stalks, scary scarecrows and an occasional screech owl in the middle of the night.  Couldn't ask for better inspiration than that.


What are your artistic plans for the future?
Over the years I have found some success in licensing my work and designing for companies.  I hope to keep doing the same and perhaps illustrate a book or two.

"Open the Vault" - tell us a secret that not many people know about you.
As a kid scary movies scared the you know what out of me, but what can I say?  I've always had a thing for Vincent Price.  Still can't pass up watching an old flick of his whenever I get a chance.  Can't believe I just gave up that secret.


How do you balance your personal/professional life?
It's not easy balancing work and a personal life.  As long as the economy is slow, seems like more art needs to be produced in order to stay afloat.  There are never enough hours in the day to get it all done.  I feel so blessed to have been given my talent and I have faith things will get better.


What shows if any will you be participating in this year?
I don't do shows anymore.  I've never been keen on traveling so I'm content to stay home and offer my work thru Etsy (Susan's Etsy store ID is susanbrack), Ebay, Cafepress, Facebook, www.susanbrack.com and our little shop THE ENCHANTED SLEIGH in Centerville, IN.

Her Halloween themed work can also be found on eBay by using the acronym "EHAG" in your eBay searches.

5 comments:

Johanna Parker said...

It's a treat to learn more about you and your whimsical work Susan ~ and it's quite clear that you never run out of ideas!... What a gift :)

~ Johanna

Flora said...

OHHH so many beautiful creations, here, the silhouettes are my favorite!!!Such a delight as always Johanna!!!
Blessings,Flora

Carolee said...

I love this interview!! So nice to get to know a little more about you and your wonderful work!

Jennifer MacNeill-Traylor said...

What a great interview! I love her work:)

Designs By CK said...

Susan's work is magical and I'm so glad she is an EHAG member!

Being a fellow EHAG artist that specializes in 2D art, I can truly appreciate the artistry in her work!

I own a Halloween Westie ACEO I got from her several years ago on eBay that I adore.

Chris >:-)