Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Interview with Sheila Bentley of Primdolly Designs

Sheila Bentley is the imaginative artist behind the Minnesota-based
Primdolly Designs

Her unique Art-Dolls can be found on eBay under the
eBay ID: primdollly



How would you describe your work?
This is the hardest question... maybe funky, quirky, sculpted art-dolls. I like to blend the realistic with the absurd! I hope my hags make people smile!

How long have you been creating Halloween-themed art?
I have been sculpting art-dolls for about 10 - 12 years and focusing on Witches and Halloween characters for 6.

What do you consider your greatest creative challenge?
Too many ideas not enough time! I have way too many sketches of Hags I want to sculpt. Sometimes I can waste days on drawing and get lost in the details. I need to spend more time on sculpting what I already have drawn!



What do you like most about being a member of EHAG?
Of all of the groups I have belonged to, they are honestly one of the most original groups. Its an Amazing mix of Artists. No-One is trying to be someone else, They are all working to improve their own style and support each other.

What was your favorite childhood costume, and why?
Can you guess?.... A Witch, I think I dressed as a Hag for every year that I could!


Do you have any favorite Halloween Traditions?
We grow and sell about a thousand pumpkins every year on our farm, so carving is one of my favorite traditions. I have to borrow my friends kids now to carve pumpkins as I can't convince my teenagers to do it!

Where do you find your inspiration?
People! I used to paint portraits so If I meet you in person don't be offended if I study your face! (hazards of the Job) I love malls and people watching. Of course what I sculpt is exaggerated, which is why I never name my witches after my friends and family :)

What are your artistic plans for the future?
Well I absolutely love what I am doing now! If I could sculpt One of a Kind Dolls for the rest of my life I would be Happy, but I do realize that change is good for an artist and I have a few different things in the works for the Fall along with my OOAK Dolls.

"Open the Vault" - tell us a secret that not many people know about you.
I have a Deathly, Paralyzing Fear of Spiders! I Love Snakes, Mice and am working on the hubby to put up a Bat house on our farm, just keep the eight legged creatures far away!


How do you balance your personal/professional life?
I have a separate studio in my house, so the agreement is that the chaos never enters the family living area and I try never to miss any of my kids activities to work on my art. Its been really tough at times with deadlines looming, but they grow too fast and I am glad I don't have to miss any moments with them!


What shows will you be participating in this year?
I only participate in the Ghoultide Gathering show in Michigan. I try to work on pieces for this show all year! I also sell on SpookyTime Jingles, Ebay, and occasionally Etsy. I am looking forward to the challenges and the Emporium here on EHAG.

See more of Sheila Bentley's work at these following websites:

and


Her Halloween themed work can also be found on eBay by using the acronym "EHAG" in your eBay searches.

11 comments:

Johanna Parker said...

Thank you for sharing your talents with us Sheila! Your work is so very unique, and I am excited to meet you and see your "hags" in person at this year's Ghoultide Gathering :)

Loved the interview as well!

~ Johanna

Sweet B Folk Art said...

Sheila, your work space looks great! - jealous about all the space you have lady!

Looking forward to meeting you at the STJ Soiree - Im a big fan :)

Enchanted Productions by Joyce Stahl said...

Hi Sheila!

Oh, I so loved reading and learning more about you...I'm with you on the "spidey" thing too! LOL! I'm so happy I was finally able to meet you in person at Ghoultide Gathering last year and look forward to seeing you again this year. I love my Primdolly original!

Enchanted Blessings,
Joycee

*retro-rudolphs* said...

Great space Sheila! ~ I loved the article and seeing all of your fantastic characters!

Lori

William Bezek said...

Love the skate boarding witch!

Carolee said...

So fun to read more about you and see all your wonderful creations!! And of course I can't wait to see everything in person again at the Ghoultide Gathering!!

And yes, I agree with Will - the skateboarding witch is just great, hehe!!

~ Carolee

boneheadstudio said...

Thanks for this interview, I can never get enough of Prim Dolly dolls!!!
blessings,Flora

Monkey-Cats Studio said...

Can't wait to meet you in person at Ghoultide this year Sheila!! Love your hags!!!!
Laurie

Love these interviews by the way!!! Nice job!

HowlingMoonDesigns said...

Such Amazing work! What character your Dolls Have!

Candy

HowlingMoonDesigns said...

Such Amazing work! What character your Dolls Have!

Candy

Linda said...

Wonderful creations, Your Skatboarder has just made me smile, great work. Linda:)