Friday, April 17, 2009

An interview with EHAG Artist - Elona Engelke

Elona Engelke







Hailing from a little hamlet named Fortuna, in Northern California, Elona continues to amaze and delight her fans with her distinctivly whimsical creations.
Elona sells her work on eBay, under the Id of Wondrousthings
You may also find her listings by using EHAG in your eBay searches

How long have you been creating Halloween Art?

About 7 Years.

How would you describe your work?
I guess I would say that my "Boo Kitty" etc. paintings would fall in the the Whimsical category. I am also very influenced by the vintage 1920's and 1930's German Cottage Industry items, especially the paper mache items. Love that vintage look and try to do my own take on my hand sculpted paper mache pieces. I would love to do some more mystical or even creepy stuff, but I just don't know where to find the time!



What do you consider your greatest creative challenge?

Time and energy. I do this for a living and most of my work is extremely labor intensive. I work 24/7 and still don't have the time to do even half of what I conjure up in my brain!



What are your artistic plans for the future?
I really would like to get back to making dolls, painting canvasses, doing collage/altered and/or assemblage pieces. I also have the great desire to write and illustrate some children's books (well, I think adults would like them too!) and to write in general. Again, most all of this is time and energy related..... if I had more time, I would have a whole myriad of work to put out there!



What do you like best about being a member of EHAG?

At first I didn't understand the whole group thing on eBay, but I do think it's nice to be able to hob-knob with people who share a lot of the same interests, as well as having someone (other than family or close friends) to bounce ideas off of or to whine to when the creative juices aren't flowing so well. However, since the whole group thing seemingly is ending on eBay, I do hope that EHAG will continue to exist as a community outside of eBay.



What was your favorite childhood Halloween Costume and why?

As a little kid my Halloween costumes were kind of dorky (my parents are German and the concept of Halloween doesn't exist in Germany, so Mom made us Red Riding hood outfits, and I have a pic of my sister in a clown costume bought at the 5 and dime), but once I got to college I did one mean Bride of Frankenstein and Bride of Dracula!



Do you have any favorite Halloween traditions?

Although I simply haven't had the time to go all out and do up Halloween the way I like to, my favorite thing to do on Halloween is scare the #*&~ out of the neighborhood kids. Sometimes it's my costume, other times it's the way the house is decorated and all of it involves quietly going to the door and the ripping it open yelling "BOO!" at the top of my voice. It used to be that it wasn't a happy Halloweener if I didn't have at least one child running down the street screaming bloody murder, or too frightened to come up the walk!!! (I know, cruel!!!) I happen to know though, that the kids LOVE it !!!!! One summer day I was sitting on the front porch steps resting in between gardening spurts, and a young boy came along and stopped on the corner and looked at me. I said "Hi." He stared and said "You're the lady who always does really scary things at Halloween, right?" I said "Yep, that's me!" He stood there, smiled and sheepishly said "I like it!" In the last 4-5 years my sister comes up from the Bay Area with my niece and nephew and we go to the pumpkin patch and then have a Halloween party with home made spider cookies, eye-ball punch, etc.



Where do you find your inspiration?

As I mentioned, vintage Halloween items from Germany are a big inspiration for me, but for my paintings, etc. it's just my quirky imagination!



Open the vault! Tell us a secret that not many people know about you:







My iconic

"Boo Kitty" is sort of really ME!





To contact Elona or to see more of her work

Email: elonasoriginals@sbcglobal.net

Ebay Id: Wondrousthings

Pfattmarketplace: Woundrousthings by Elona's Originals

(W.I.P. Paper Mache Rattles from Elona's Studio)

(Boo Kitty)

8 comments:

Carolee said...

Love, love, LOVE Elona's work, and what a delight to read more about her here! :)

~ Carolee

*retro-rudolphs* said...

Great interview!!

I had no idea Elona was so darn FUNNY!

Lori

Nancy Lee Malay said...

What a wonderful interview. I really enjoyed reading more about the talented artist behind "Boo Kitty"!!

Jordana Hawen said...

What a beautiful artwork she does :)

Johanna Parker said...

So fun to get to know Elona more through this interview! I really enjoyed it along with her whimsical style......

~ Johanna

Monkey-Cats Studio said...

I love Elona's work and after reading this I wonder if she is a sister know I had!! HA! Great read "B" and Elona, you are a hoot!
Laurie

Leah's Art Magic said...

Loved reading this interview! Elona is very talented. Her "Boo" kitty is adorable!

Leah

Iva Wilcox of Iva's Creations said...

Just love your work Elona and what a great interview. It's always so interesting to get inside the minds of such talented Halloween artists. Love it! And your Boo Kitty always puts a smile on my face. Thanks for sharing your story!!